I had couple of Windows based USB drives (NTFS format). When I got my mac, I wanted to use those for transferring files between Mac and Windows using USB. By default, Mac will allow to read contents from NTFS based drives but it won’t allow to write to it. Came across couple of websites to do that. But there is a way to enable this ‘beta’ / non-GA method to write into such NTFS drives.
In terminal windows, type the following command.
sudo nano /etc/fstab
Add the following line after getting the drive name and save it (^o then <enter> then ^x). You can add more lines – one per drive.
LABEL=<replace drive NAME> none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse
Note: If drive name has space in between, replace space with \040 For instance, if the label is “USB DISK”, the Name to enter in fstab file will be: “USB\040DISK”.
I am planning to list some of the items to think deeply here:
- Per texts available in internet, it is believed that Lord Ayyapa was born to Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu. Both are males. The story is Lord Vishnu transforms as a female, Mohini (a transgender – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohini) and helps devas to get their immortal amirta from asuras. Lord Shiva heard about her and came to meet her. He fell in love with her and gave birth to Lord Ayyapa. Not sure, how many have thought about this, may be ancient people had some scientific technique / thoughts about a male and a transgender female can give birth to a child. There is a story that Mohini is actually Goddess Parvathi with impersonation from Lord Vishnu (female physique but bold, beautiful and powerful), Ardhanarishvara seems different from this. One thing is very evident that our ancient man understood human body (material and non-material) better than what we know now (based on mythology stories – i believe they are not novels like star wars).
- 3 gods have killed demon around same time (Durga – Vijayadashami, Rama – Ravan in Ramayan, Muruga – Soorasamharam). Are they all refer to the same incident based on regional belief?
I have landed in SJC, morning around 8am. I checked the Lyft line rate from SJC – Fremont and it showed $33+ after applying pending $5 discount. I thought it is high because I have paid ~$17 when I went from Fremont to SJC on Thursday. So, I checked the rate in Uber pool. It showed $34+. I had a second thought and decided to book in Lyft. When I opened it again, it showed $43+. Checked in Uber pool again and it showed $44+. Remembered about similar issue in air ticket booking sites earlier (rate increases if you search repeat / search with more people in the party). Worried about this sudden change within couple of minutes, I decided to go back to Lyft and book it. This time, Lyft showed $64+ for Lyft line (all these within 5 minutes). Cancelled all attempts and went to car rental building just to think through this and decided to try after 5 minutes. While sitting inside the building, checked Android maps for transit option. It showed $6 cost (bus, train and bus). Decided to try it. Took the bus from SJC to Metro LR station (free cost). Train from Metro to Civic station ($2 cost). Took 181 express bus to Fremont ($4 cost). Reached home in ~70% more time than the cab time but saved a lot (in times not in %). More than that, thanks for the opportunity which made me explore the alternate travel option.
Posted in Travel
Tagged SJC Fremont, VTA
When I heard about Amazon Alexa, I wanted to understand more about it. So, attended a free Amazon bootcamp through hackster.io website promotion. I liked it. Based on the instructions and template, I was able to create some 3 skills and got it certified from them (certification process took close to a week after submission). Feeling happy. Following is the process.
- Understand the Alexa skill process, watch a sample video (http://bit.ly/alexafactvid)
- Develop the function for your skill and upload the same in AWS portal
- Create your new skill with invoking intent and sample utterances
- Self test the skill using http://echosim.io (echo simulator if you don’t have the device)
- Tune the lambda function powering your skill and the speech utterances
- Submit the skill for certification and wait for them to review and promote to live (correct the review feedback and resubmit if necessary)
I got some files from a known friend in my USB flash drive. It was working fine when the files were copied to flash drive but it failed to open when I plugged into my laptop. System threw an error as ‘The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable’. I was able to use one of the options (chkdsk /f <drive letter>:) suggested in the below website and one more website.
After running chkdsk, I got Access Denied error. I gave Everyone read permission under security tab based on some suggestion from one of the articles in internet. This resolved the error. I was able to successfully remove the flash drive. When I plugged in again, it showed a warning message that we have to scan and fix the errors. I did it and it resolved most of the errors faced in that USB flash drive.
I have formatted this USB flash drive and tried accessing in another laptop. It didn’t recognize. Then I went to disk management and assigned a drive letter. It started showing again.
I referred this webpage for solving unrecognized flash drive issue http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2117033/flash-drive-showing-computer.html
I listen to Hotel California song quite frequently. I like the guitar music as many (O.. M… song). Quite interestingly I have noticed couple of lines in the song which means a lot philosophically 🙂
such a nice lyrics
such a nice lyrics (background)
We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device
Relax said the night man
We are programed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave
I view these lines similar to life – rebirth cycle in our biological machine. Thinking. Does it ring a bell, anyone?
As mentioned in Eagles Wikipedia page, these are mysterious lyrics.
Lord Vishnu Ten Avatars – It is believed based on the interpretations from Hindu scriptures, Lord Vishnu self-incarnates at various stages of earth cosmic cycle (yugas) to bring ordinance whenever evil forces go beyond a tolerable limit.
Out of several views of avatar interpretations, I like the way how avatars are described related to life evolution characteristics in earth. Following are the avatars.
- Matsya – like a fish (initial life)
- Kurma – like a tortoise (life in water and land)
- Varaha – like a boar (disconnected from water, started living in land)
- Narasimha – like a lion (transition to knowledge; high in food chain)
- Vamana – short form (kind of Neanderthal; knowledge; wisdom)
- Parasurama – human form with axe, bow and arrow
- Rama – concept of King (society, community)
- Balaram – human form with plough and mace (civilization, farming)
- Krishna – intellectual dealing with politics, human weakness, life lessons, etc. (bhagavad gita)
- Kalki – (believed to happen in future) human machine
After 10 avatars, earth is believed to enter a silent phase / ice age / suspend state and again the life cycle starts and then the avatars from #1.
http://www.balagokulam.org/kids/stories/dashavatara.php (in this article, they have considered Buddha in the list instead of Balaram)